沫化為麥穗 金光閃爍的海洋
兒女的哭聲 

溶入牆壁

正是飛箭

露珠
捨命的
濺入火紅之眼

我 黎明的熔爐

One of my favorite American poets is Sylvia Plath. I was first introduced to her work while I was a high school student in Chickasha, Oklahoma in 1967. I am always curious why a conservative rural high school accepted and taught "modern" poetry by a controversial poet, barely four years after her untimely death. Nevertheless, I am forever grateful of the literary exposure I received in that school over forty years ago.

Since then I have read a number of Chinese translations of Plath's work on the internet. Unfortunately, none seems satisfactory. Most of them are translations of words, rather than the poem. Indeed, poetry can seldom be translated. Often, the feeling is lost in the translation. The translator not only needs to be proficient in both languages, but more importantly, needs to have a good grasp of the cultures involved. Sometimes, I feel translating a good poem is more difficult than creating one. There are poems that defy translation. "Ariel" may be one of them. However, I am willing to give my best shot at it.

The title "雷峰" comes from the Legend of the Snakes. The White Snake, 白素貞,imprisoned under the 雷峰 pagoda, parallels Ariel, the enslaved spirit of Shakespeare's Tempest. I thought the correspondence of 白娘子 and "White Godiva" especially appropriate and culturally equivalent. Afterall, Sylvia Plath was writing about her struggle with the constraints of womanhood and the stringencies as a mother, wife, and as a daughter. Similarly, the White Snake strives to break the barrier between Gods and mortals.

The last stanza is most difficult to translate, as the poet implies "Eye" as "I", and "morning" as "mourning." I do not have a solution to this riddle. The only way, as I see it, is to use separate words for "Eye", but the problem remains with "morning", because the emotions of mourning and sadness is lost in the translation.

Chinese Translation Copyright: JMTMD